Hometown Photo

Hometown Photo

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sight of Winter in Copenhagen

The final week of my trip to Copenhagen I was lucky enough to have one of my best friends from Maastricht join me, and therefore I had an excuse to see all the landmarks once again. Even though I have been to many of these places numerous times, it never 'gets old' and I still am full of wonder as I walk through Dyrehavn, see the Lille Havfrue (Little Mermaid), or stroll through the baroque gardens of Frederiksborg Slot (castle). Since most of these places have been covered before in my blog I shall instead show you some pictures of these Copenhagen treasures in the wintertime. 

One of my favorite places in Copenhagen in the wintertime is Tivoli, which turns into, quite simply, a winter wonderland. 
Tivoli

The lights, and the Christmas decorations in Tivoli simply should not be missed. With that, one also should not miss seeing Crazy Christmas Cabaret. This has been my third year in a row seeing the show, and as usual - it was Amazing. I was laughing incessantly from start to finish.
"Look! It's my size!" Tivoli
Another 'must do' in Copenhagen is a walk along the water, stopping first at Kastellet (a fortress), then down to the water's edge to see the Lille Havfrue (the Little Mermaid statue), followed by a stroll along the water which will take you to the Amalienborg palace complex and then to Nyhavn. During every season this walk will be a little bit different. This year, without the large amounts of snow which sometimes occur, the walk was quite pleasant.
Kastellet
Kastellet
Lille Havfrue
When in Copenhagen I live in a town called Allerød, which is right next to Hillerød, which is home to one of my favorite castles which I have seen countless times. Frederiksborg Slot (castle). I don't think I shall ever get tired of gazing as this artfully sculpted architectural detail, or wandering slowly through its beautiful Baroque gardens. To me it is a symbol not only of the Denmark of yesteryear but the Denmark of the modern day; a nation proud of its heritage. 
Frederiksborg Slot
Strolling around Copenhagen you are bound to encounter some unexpected things; like a horse drawn carriage with an honor guard, a serene lake in the heart of the city (the Botanical Gardens), soldiers at attention, and a tradition tea house experience. In Copenhagen I have learned to expect the unexpected and I will never cease to enjoy the confusion of why there are such wonderful, though sometimes puzzling, occurrences in the heart of the city.
At Kongens Nytorv
Botanical Gardens

A.C. Perch's Tea House
A place which I have spoken of time and time again is Dyrehavn. I love to go, either by foot or bike, through the winding paths in the woods, where you are sure to encounter deer which seem to have very little fear of humans. Wandering as such allows one to believe that maybe such sweet woodland animals did come for those fairytale princesses in their time of need.
Dyrehavn
And of course, when in Copenhagen in the Winter one of the great things to take part in is New Year's Eve. With funny hats, fancy attire, good food, and the best of company, to ring in the New Year in Copenhagen is really quite a treat. 
Happy New Year Everyone! 
May the coming year bring laughter to your smile and joy to your heart!

2 comments:

  1. As always, your pictures are beautiful, your descriptions make me want to go, and you are sweet as ever.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soldier pic. - just like you to tease your own size (you are really not that small).
    -Laura H.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what your thoughts are about my adventures!! :)