Hometown Photo

Hometown Photo

Friday, March 15, 2013

Carnival

Carnival in Maastricht is simply one of those things that you must experience to fully grasp the utter madness. Every direction you turn there are decorations, entire families decked out in the most elaborate costumes ever seen and smiles all around. I am incredibly glad that I stayed in Maastricht during Carnival and that I was out every day to witness the shenanigans. I will never forget the creatures that came into being for those days in Maastricht. The time, and money that people put into the creation of their carnival costumes is something that Halloween in the states will simply never be able to touch. I will never forget chatting to this demon with horns, a crow feather cape and grotesque black claws, only to look into their eyes to see nothing but demonic black. The creativity in what people 'became' for those days was, quite simply, boundless.


When I decided to come to Maastricht for my Masters, one of my best friends got incredibly excited and told me that, without fail, she would be coming to attend Carnival with me. Both she and another good friend came - the experience was simply unforgettable. 
Carnival occurred from the 10-12th of February, though the celebrations started a couple days prior. At this time, no one appeared sane in Maastricht. Despite the cold we all, myself included, hung out in the plazas, watched countless costume parades, and enjoyed the celebratory atmosphere.
Maastricht is said to be one of the Carnival capitals in the Netherlands, and after these few days, I am bereft of words to express the depth to which I believe that. Here it was mainly about costumes, and they were undeniably incredibly elaborate.
One of the things that really made me fall in love with Carnival in Maastricht is that all ages participate, and to be honest, typically some of the most elaborate costumes are put together by individuals who would be years past dressing up for Halloween in the U.S. . Families oftentimes came in perfectly coordinated elaborate ensembles, even down to the baby carriage matching the plumage of the mother's skirt. The sight was beyond incredible, as children scampered along in costumes worthy of one's dreams alongside parents who looked to be not entirely of this world. 
While I strived to dress in costume, I could not help but stand agape in utter fascination at these costumes. Never have I seen anything like this in my life, and unless I come back for another Maastricht Carnival, I probably will never see something like this again.
Celebrated at the same time as Mardi Gras, Carnival takes celebrating the approach of lent to a whole new level. Carnival season officially starts on the 11th of the 11th month at 11:11 and goes until the Tuesday preceding lent. Aside from the importance of being at parades by 11 minutes past, in Maastricht one must also make note of the myriad bands, the prince of carnival who has the 'keys' to the city and of course the Mooswief. In the first day of Carnival, a giant statue of what looks like a homely, yet colorful, woman is hoisted up above the major square. This is the Mooswief, who is the great symbol of carnival, sort of like its sacred mother. Understanding this concept is essential to understanding why fountains and squares all over the city are filled with vegetables. Moos means vegetables, and wief means wife. Justifying why in Maastricht during Carnival, it is perfectly natural to walk past a broccoli filled fountain while next to a creature that looks like it has leaped out of a movie.
On the last Tuesday of Carnival there is a large ceremony marking when the mooswief will be brought down and carnival will be finished. As the last hurrah, this ceremony is not to be missed as kids of all ages done their best costumes to attend.
Of course, Carnival would not have been so great if I didn't have my wonderful friends to share it with me, to explain the broccoli stuffed fountains and to help me accept the extravagance of a Maastricht Carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what your thoughts are about my adventures!! :)